Error "Licensing has stopped working"

I recently encountered a permissions problem with Adobe CS3 running on OS X Lion, where  the error message that is at the head of this post appeared, and all programs in the suite refused to open.


The first step instructed by the error message was to reinstall. This didn't resolve the issue, so I went trawling the Internet for a solution, and although Adobe has published this near perfect guide to fixing the issue, I did find one error that had me stuck for a short while and thought worth reporting.


It comes in point 3 under 'Solution 2: Run the License Repair Tool', where having downloaded Adobe Licensing Repair Tool you are instructed in sub-points (e-g) to open Terminal and drag LicenseRecoveryLauncher.app there after starting Python and press return.


This just threw up a syntax error for me. So instead of typing "sudo python", I just typed "python" at the prompt that appears after opening Terminal. And then, before pressing enter, I added a space and dragged the LicenseRecover.py file to the same line as the word python, pressed enter and then followed the instructions within terminal.


For me this was problem solved. I hope it is of help to others - it is also the Adobe guide for fixing CS4, and Acrobat 8 and 9.


Update: I did find that after fixing the problem InDesign hung while loading and didn't finish loading. The solution to which can be found here. One hint to keep things a bit more secure, would be to add and set the Administrators (admin) group to Read/Write rather than everyone as advised in the solution provided on Adobe's forum site. 


Second update: I also found there were fonts not showing up in InDesign that were on my system. A quick fix for this is to copy the missing fonts from the system's /Library/Fonts folder to the /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts folder.

Comments

  1. Thank you SO much for this fix! My Adobe Suite works perfectly (well, maybe not perfectly; it's Adobe after all). You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joseph, thanks for the comment. I'm glad this post has been of help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! All the other instructions I found for running the tool in Terminal refused to work... this did the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are not sketchy -- you are a genius! Thank you SO much!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment