Writer's Block: Three OS X apps to help you concentrate




This is the most expensive of the three apps considered here. It has some nice features, best of which is that you can assign certain apps to a specific task and close all others. There are also preconfigured blocks that can be placed on social networking sites.

The major problem I had was that using this app in OS X Lion (10.7) I wasn't able to block Facebook and although I could block Twitter in the browser I was still able to use the Twitter app. This meant I wasn't completely locked out of these distractions.

Pomodoro

This is the most basic of all three apps. It is little more than a timer (with some added stats tracking). Despite this it is my favourite of the three. I found the concept of the pomodoro the most useful way of concentrating on the type of tasks I am engaged in, and while the program doesn't block anything it does provide a simple way to re-learn self-discipline and employ a productive way of working.

As such I found myself converted to the whole concept of the pomodoro.

Self Control

This program has less features than Concentrate and appears less polished, although it does seem a popular choice on the Internet, and it may well be that if one writes scripts and so on that it might meet the needs of certain advanced users.

As with all the other apps, Facebook appeared impossible to block. And while I don't use Facebook heavily, I'm sure if twitter was not available I might start using it more.




Comments