Fitness Apps: Week 2 (Google Fit, MyFitnessPal and MapMyRun)


Although I made the decision over the Christmas/New Year period to diet and exercise, and lost a couple of pounds before I started using apps, I began in earnest with MyFitnessPal seven days ago.

The first thing to note is that I have indeed lost a pound over the week, as predicted by the app.

Calories

During the first seven days I've only had one red day (where calories in minus exercise was higher than my target calories). On that day I went out for some drinks and ended up hitting my non-dieting calorie target (around 2084 calories) instead of my dieting one. On green days I've been under my target by anything between 95 and 950 calories, which more than makes up for those extra 500 or so calories at the weekend.

Food

The thing I'm finding most useful is knowing a realistic calorie intake. Usually when I diet I stop eating all but one (or possibly two) meals a day for about a week or two and then give up, because it isn't sustainable. I can already tell that MyFitnessPal will help me continue for longer, and also help me balance protein, fat and carbohydrates.

Exercise

It's been cold and today it snowed, so the running hasn't happened over the last seven days. I've upped the length of my first aerobic exercises of the day to 30 mins from 20 mins, and have increased the intensity as well. I completed this new exercise target yesterday and today, although yesterday there wasn't time for evening exercises. Today I'm yet to see about the evening aerobics. 

The lack of outdoor activity has meant that I haven't used MapMyRun this week but GoogleFit has been measuring my walking and most days I do over an hour of walking a day, sometimes even two hours.

Thoughts

I'm pleased that I've lost weight this week and I'm feeling positive about the dieting and exercise. It's also making me more positive overall and giving me more energy to get things done. (All clichéd stuff, but all true nonetheless. Let's hope it's not just early optimism, there's still some distance to go yet.)




Endorse on Coderwall

Comments