iTunes Error 3014 when attempting iPad restore

Following an unfortunate click of an iPad icon while mounting in iTunes, the software refused to recognise the iPad, no matter what I tried, so offered to place it in recovery mode. (Note: It was, however, still recognised in Xcode.)

After many failed attempts to restore to iOS 5.1.1, I had to accept that this iPad was going iOS 6. But there was a snag, each time I tried to restore it I received an unknown error 3014.

Another post identified this as a connection problem with Apple's servers and directed me to the hosts file which can be found in Finder using Shift + cmd + G then searching /etc/ inside which you'll find the file.

However, before you can edit the file you'll need to add administrator read and write privileges to the hosts file, the etc folder and the private folder it is contained within. By selecting them in Finder and pressing Cmd + I then using the options at the bottom of the dialog box.

Once you are in a position to do so, open the file. Mine looked like this:

##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting.  Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1             localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost

In order to get past the error I was seeing I commented out the broadcast host with a hash sign (alt  + 3), like this:

##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting.  Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
#255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1             localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost

At the end once the iPad was restored I put everything back as I found it.

Comments

  1. not working for me in window XP. Can u help me

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's an issue with editing the hosts file, it might be worth looking at this post - https://www.letuslook.org/tips-tricks/edit-hosts-file-mac-windows/

    Otherwise I can only advise searching the Internet, since it's one of those things that is impossible to recreate and test, especially across platforms.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment